Thursday, October 7, 2010

Beam - a Verb

Beam – a Verb
To smile broadly
I was blessed to spend two full days in the presence of some amazing women from my church last weekend. The trip to Canton, TX is an annual event where women leave their men, children, and worries at home and bask in the fellowship of girly-ness (not really a word, but I like it). The weekend includes shopping at the biggest flea market these eyes have ever seen at Canton’s First Monday Trade Days, staying the night at Sky Ranch (skyranch.org) where outdoor activities abound.
This year I chose to stay at Sky Ranch Saturday afternoon to take advantage of the opportunity to increase my blood pressure by experiencing exhilaration. My first challenge of the day was to go on a cattle drive. Oh, the horses and cattle have done this so many times they could do it with their eyes closed. But this was the first time being on a horse since I fell off of one a few months ago. So my stomach fluttered getting on and then again when the horse moved to adjust her footing. Once I got over that, I was back to my “old self” enjoying the ride.


Feeling quite confident of myself, I decided to take on another challenge…going down the zip-line. I was so nonchalant as I waited in line to get buckled up, and the walk up the hill – I practically strutted. Even walking up the steps to the top of the tower I felt no fear. I will admit that as soon as I was attached to the line every butterfly within a ten mile radius convened in my stomach! I sat on the edge of the tower as I was told and my last words were “I don’t want to do this!” and then I took off. I took off screaming, not from fear, but from the feeling of exhilaration! I let go of the rope that held me high above the ground and let my feet come up as I laid back into the open air for the duration of the ride.

To take things down a notch a few friends and I decided we’d end the afternoon by canoeing out on the lake. The water was calm and there was a slight breeze to compliment the bright sun. But the most fun was in the contrast of the two canoes. Lori and I were paddling stroke for stroke and maneuvering that boat as if we were on a rowing team! Our years as counselors at kids’ camp, taking young girls out on the lake for many years showed in our rowing skills. Our friends had obviously never been in a canoe before. We laughed so hard watching them go in circles, or backwards, or forward when they wanted to turn. But the laughter doubled when Lori and I hit land to head to dinner and I, sitting at the back of the boat, slid right off my seat into the bottom of the boat, full of water, and mud!
I was beaming all day. The broad smile across my face lingers even today as I recall the sound of our voices yelling at the cattle to move along, screaming as the zip line carried us over sand and trees, and laughing at the silliness on the water and dock.
Behold, the canoeing queens!
When was the last time you beamed? Please leave me a comment…I really want to know!

3 comments:

  1. Loved it! Most fun ever. Next year I conquer my "horse fears"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found my blog! I can't wait til next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like y'all had fun! And good thing you didn't fall off the horse again or I would've had to lecture you, missy!!

    ReplyDelete